Bimillennial city declared national historic, The legend says that Tarazona was built by Tubal and Cain and rebuilt by Hercules. So it appears in the coat of arms of the city: Â«TubalCain me aedificavit. Hercules I reaedificavitÂ». In the 1st century to. C. the Romans called it “Turiaso”.
Today, Tarazona retains a beautiful mudejar imprint in the streets and squares of its medieval historic quarter, with an important heritage of monuments ranging from the 12th to the 20th century. The most notable monument is the Cathedral the 15th century MudĂ©jar-style, crowned by the dome.
The Old Jewish quarter, called the Rua After the expulsion, sits at the foot of la Zuda - today Palacio Episcopal-, in the neighborhood of the belt, urban area of medieval atmosphere accentuated Mudejar features. It occupied an area bounded by the Barbican and the wall of the irrigation channel of Selcos and the market and the village gate, covering the streets of Jewish quarters, RĂșa Alta, RĂșa Baja and Aires.
The neighborhood originally had different accesses: the door of the new square (Plaza of Spain), the Porticiella (RĂșa low) and the Puerta de la Zuda (RĂșa Alta). On 1450 cited the “New Jewish quarter”, extended through the slope of the Archdeacons on the plaza de Santa MarĂa, public space where the solemn events were held (funeral and Coronation of the Kings, the Passover or the Sukkot).
The Jewish presence Tarazona goes back to the late Roman Empire, consolidated under Muslim rule. In Christian times, Muca o Moshe Portella (1213-1283), perform an outstanding role in the administration of the aljama. Dance of the aljama in 1273 and the city (1276-77), controls the collection of taxes and the border fortifications. In the War of the two Pedros, the Jewish quarter was sacked by the Spanish troops. After the reconstruction in 1370 will reside tudelano Rabbi Shem Tov ben Isaac Shaprut, After his controversy with the future Pope Pedro de Luna (1375), as a physicist. The city was a centre of translation that a legacy of fragments, Hebrew codices is preserved in the archive of the Cathedral of essentially liturgical character.
The attacks against the Jewish quarters of the Peninsula in 1391 just let themselves feel thanks to the protection of the Council and its economic weight. The community is integrated by 200 o 275 Jews. The climate of tolerance is broken with the introduction of the Holy Office in 1484. Processed families include the Santa Fe and the Santangel.
Once decreed the expulsion in 1492, a part emigrated to Navarre (Tudela, Cascante...), While nearly half of the population opts for baptism.
The Aljama had with two synagogues: the “Wholesale” and the “Minor”. With respect to the first, the Bishop issued the license of reconstruction in 1371 by the fire after the war. The largest synagogue of Tarazona comprises a single nave covered with wood to twofold, that is accessed through a patio or azara: the “synagogue of mulleres them”.
The the synagogue building -partially preserved- It was the subject of several works in the middle of the 15th century, taking one of its entrances by the high Rua or “career of the synagogue”. Mentions to the smaller synagogue they are very sporadic, but it would be a very sober stay.
Hardly anything is known of the miqwĂš, located near the Selcos ditch and next to the synagogue but with independent access.
On the northern edge of the Jewish quarter, charted by the Barbican which stands in the street of the count, This set of dwellings that leverage the adarve of the wall of the Jewish belt district were built. The rear facades were flown on the street of the Jewish quarter.
The houses were occupied by the lower nobility and lineages as the Lopez de Gurrea (Lords of Torrellas, Los Fayos and Santa Cruz).
âââ Hotel Condes de Visconti
âââ Hotel La Merced de la Concordia
âââ Hotel Las Brujas de BĂ©cquer
Hostal Palacete the Archdeacons
MÂȘ PILAR VELILLA PUEYO | 625 105 603
THE RIVER SANTACECILIA-NOELIA | 652 655 010 | email@example.com